Final Route Map, SF, CA - Montauk, NY

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mile 182.0 - Crossing the central valley

Lots to talk about today. First, I have to say that while the political body that is the state of California may be crumbling apart with each passing day, the physical land it encompasses is quite stunning. Between Vacaville and Davis, I lost count of the number of cows that stopped chewing their cud to watch me go by. There was also a very happy alpaca rolling around in the dirt.

Anyway, today. It's hard to encapsulate what one sees in 118 miles: the peaceful calm, the mild pungency of cow dung in the fresh country air, the wildflowers, or the dozens of fellow cyclists one meets. But I will try.

Around mile 69, I surpassed my personal speed record on a bike.(grandma, if you're reading, skip down a few lines.) Coming out of Vellejo, there was this beautiful, empty, freshly repaved county road. Between the road, the hill, and the wind at my back, I hit an even 50.0 mph. From around 37 to 42 mph, Penny started to shake a bit, but then I hit my slipstream and started flying. I don't know how much faster I really need to go.

I knowingly broke the speed limit several times today including 10 over in a school zone and most of the American River Trail.

Soon after I came to a sweeping vista of the Suisan Valley, where a coast guard reserve fleet is anchored. At mile 82.6, I crossed US80 for the second time. My old friend 80.

After 7 hours of wheels spinning, I had gone 93.65 miles. Not bad. At mile 94.1, I found that the road I was going to take was under construction and physically not there. Thankfully, there was a firehouse right there, so I was able to get directions around to my next turn.

I was going to take a break at mile 100 for the trip, but shortly before, two triathlete types pulled up beside me. One of them went from Washington to Maine last year and gave me general words of encouragement. I had my brake at 100.3 instead.

Then, from mile 122 or so to mile 127.4, I took an impromptu tour of not the right direction. Urg. That cost me 20 minutes in the midday sun. Then, I entered Davis. Davis is to cyclists as Wrigley Field is to Cubs fans: the place you want to be. I took the lovely bike path into town, with only one minor issue. At mile 130.2 I was met with a swarm of bees. If any of you read your Pooh, these were the wrong kind of bees. I tucked my arms in, put my head down and put on a little burst of speed.

3 miles later, I came to the UC Davis softball team up by 2 in the 6th. UC Riverside tied it up, but the Aggies scraped in another run to win 5-4.

On the way out of town, I stopped at target to refill my fluids. They had lots of bike parking and a few bike lockers. I tried, but with Penny's pack on she didn't fit. I left her by the customer service desk. The girl working the desk asked if I was riding cross country or something. Actually yes. Anyway, the Atlantic Ave Target in Brooklyn should get bike lockers.

I then followed the Yolo Causeway trail to Sacramento. Gorgeous. The trail is a separated shoulder of my old friend I80. I saw about a dozen hurons in the marsh.

At 148.7, I was taking pictures of the CA state capitol. I swung back around to the river and started on the American River Bike Trail. It was awesome! I encourage all my nyc riders to come experience it and figure out how we can have something similar. Lots of bikers, several of whom I talked to for some time, a coyote and near dusk a deer. It's mostly tree lined, goes through a couple parks and was very comfortable to ride on. I wish it went all the way across the country, I'd be done in 8 weeks.

At mile 164.9, a bit past 100 miles for the day, I took a much needed stop at a bench by a men's room and a water fountain.

Finally, at 180.3 I made it into Fulsom. As I hadn't eaten and the sun was going down, I decided to find a room and some grub.

Tomorrow, I hope to make it close to the CA\NV line. I have lots if climbing to do.

Day 2, Vellejo, CA - Fulsom, CA
118.31 miles today, 182.0 miles total. Wheels spinning today 8:20:12. Total time thus far, 13:24:37. Top speed 50.0 miles per fracking hour.

4 comments:

  1. /wave from the gill at the guest server counter. and lol, my bike is named bella :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post some pictures dammit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, i sent you a text last night. I found a way to take 8 miles off in Utah near Trout Creek. With that in mind, Folsom is 4.2% of the way complete. By the time you get to the CA-NV Line it will be 7.3%, Carson City - 8%, Ely NV - 16.3% and NV-UT Line - 18% complete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good writing. Now I'll have to take the American River bike route myself. ...damn you. Now there's yet something ELSE I'll be compelled to distract myself with until I do it.

    ReplyDelete