Final Route Map, SF, CA - Montauk, NY

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

Friday, April 30, 2010

Mile 63.69 - The journey begins

Day one and the adventure has already begun. I got my feet and Penny's tires wet in the Pacific at Bakers Beach and then crossed the Golden Gate. Things were rolling along until I crested the hill going into San Raphael. I had started the descent and I heard what no cyclist ever wants to hear: a loud pop from the back tire. Pardon my French, but fiddlesticks.

I slowly pulled a 3" wood screw out of my tire. It had gone clean through the tube, either the entrance or the exit wound was sufficient to kill the tube. If I had cheaper rims, it probably would have wrecked that too.

Thankfully, my rescue came in the form of a lovely local named Michelle who rode back to her place and then returned with a spare tire and a real pump. Thank you,thank you, thank you.

With her road tire, I got into town to a bike shop and got a new tire more appropriate for the load bearing I require of it. Anyway, 2 hours and $70 later I was back on the road.

I went around the marshland at the top of the bay (alongside the traffic on 37) and then climbed a really tall bridge into Vellejo. I got across the town and, as the sun was sinking inexorably in the sky, I found a cheap motel and am now bivouacked for the night.

Day 1, San Francisco, CA - Vellejo, CA
63.69 miles today, 63.69 miles total, top speed 40.1 mph. Climbing speed a little bit slower.

No comments:

Post a Comment