Final Route Map, SF, CA - Montauk, NY

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

miles, miles, miles

I started the day earlier than usual, getting up to spend an hour an a half trying to survey cyclists coming off the Williamsburgh Bridge. We got maybe one out of every twenty cyclists that went by even though we were just asking one question which would take 20 seconds to answer. Still, there were lots and lots of cyclists that went by, so we did get a decent volume of responses. I would take 20 seconds to improve bike infrastructure around that bridge.

I spent most of today in Prospect Park. I got home from the morning volunteering, loaded 70lbs into the panniers, and set out to enjoy a day at the park. 19 laps of the park is 100 kilometers, so that was my goal. My previous high had been five. Most laps were 13-14 minutes, which I'm ok with.

From laps 7-10 I was talking to a guy who went from Oregon to Georgia last year. It was nice to pick his brain and get some advice. There's plenty that I'm sure I'll just learn the hard way on the road, but I'll listen to whatever advice someone is wont to give. Whether I heed that advice is a different matter.

I took a break after lap ten, coming home to watch the end of a netflik I had started, then headed back to the park. I was joined by Emily for a couple laps too. Apparently if you give me the handicap of 70lbs and 16 previous laps, she is faster at the uphill than I am.

Tomorrow I need to take another full load ride somewhere, at least 50 miles. Maybe I'll go down to Coney Island, then across to Far Rockaway, just because I don't feel like navigating manhattan in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment