Final Route Map, SF, CA - Montauk, NY

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

Friday, April 16, 2010

let there be lights!

One of the pieces of equipment that I've been slowest in getting for Penny is a set of lights. On the mountain bike, I have a set (well, half a set, someone stole the front light) of relatively inexpensive, lightweight Planet Bike lights that have the advantage of taking AAA batteries. Since I'm taking my battery recharger and spare AAA take up neither volume nor space, that would be nice instead of having to find new lithium batteries on the road.

The other thing I had seen in the past was lights powered by the energy created in the act of pedaling. That would be great, I'm certainly going to be generating energy, the only problem was the generator thing was kinda bulky and heavy, and there'd be wires from it to both lights.

Well I found something else, something I can totally get behind. It's a set of solar powered bike lights. They are bright, smallish (the model name is Flea, after all), and come with a little USB solar panel. The lights also can be charged from a normal USB connection. I imagine that I will find plenty of sunlight though. Now I just need to figure out where on the bike to keep the panels so they get optimal sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment