Final Route Map, SF, CA - Montauk, NY

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Oh yes

Three things I forgot to mention from Day 27:

1. Shoulders. I like shoulders, especially when they are six feet wide and paved. US 14 through this area goes back and forth between beautifully wide paved shoulders, in essence a safe lane just for me, and the 18" - 2' wide shoulder with rumbles strips and then 4' of gravel next to it. That may be fine for farm equipment, but not great for a cyclist. Hey, SD, why not just pave the shoulder the whole way and tout it as a bike route from Brookings clear to the black hills. I bet you would get lots of people to ride on it.

2. Camera phones. The first time I was aware of a driver taking a picture of me from an oncoming car was back on Highway 50 leaving Ely, NV. Occasionally I would see a driver or passenger pointing a phone at me as I went by. I'd like to see those shots, and I'd actually be totally willing to pull over so you could get a clear picture of me, but that's all cool. Anyway, something about central and eastern South Dakota that makes people want to take my picture. On this day alone I saw 5 or 6 drivers taking pictures of me, as I was going through a small town, a couple kids on bikes had pointed their phones at me, and there was even a gas station stop where I came outside to see someone taking a picture of Penny. I am totally fine with all that, but it kinda speaks to how little they see cyclists here.

3. I was going to list the roadkill I saw in the day, but the list is rather depressing, so I'll just end here.

No comments:

Post a Comment