Final Route Map, SF, CA - Montauk, NY

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mile 1474.02 - A Tale of Two Rides

Day 19 and my goal was to get from my camp about 16 miles northwest of Casper to Wright, closing in on the South Dakota Border.

There was one more hill the size of those I climbed to end day 18, but without 90+ miles on my legs for the day, it was much easier to climb. As I got to the top of the hill, I found some companions in 6 antelope running along with me. They seem to like to do that and as long as it doesn't turn aggressive, I'm totally cool with it. As I was climbing, they were faster than me, but as I crested the hill and started to pick up speed on the way down, I passed them. Then, suddenly, they all stopped and just stood there to watch me go off into the distance.

I got into Mills, a mile across the river from Casper and took a morning break. US 20/26 had nice wide shoulders, but as I turned onto Old Salt Creek Road to head north, the shoulder disappeared and I was cast into heavy truck traffic from the industries that lines the road. A few miles later though, and I passed Bar Nunn, after which there wasn't much traffic at all. The road passed to the other side of interstate 87 and that's when it got really fun. I climbed a small hill and could see three hills ahead of me, including 20 Mile Hill which was 14 miles away from that point. Each hill had a deeper decline than incline and I was flying. I was almost always over 30 on the downslopes, hit 38.2 on one and my momentum carried me halfway up 20 Mile Hill. I got to the top and was greeted with a nice long slope down and I was able to peak out at 42.8mph.

I rode past Teapot Dome, made famous for the unabashed bribery it's natural resources caused. This was one end of a vast oil and natural gas reserve in this part of the state, as was evidenced by the forest of oil rigs set up across the landscape. After 60.55 miles for the day, I hit my second bike path in Wyoming, a small trail that extends between the neighboring mining towns of Midwest and Edgerton.

In Edgerton, I made a stop at the post office to send home my map of Utah which was no longer needed, and a highway map of Wyoming. I also sent Dan the Wyoming map, because it is a good one, and sent in my registration for my college reunion in June. I'm going to really have to slow myself down to make it in time, but more on that later. As I was at the post office I was talking to the postal lady and a UPS guy about the terrain and weather ahead, and both seemed rather grim. 'It gets hilly up that way' he offered. She hoped that the hail she had heard forecasted didn't effect me. This really marked the changing point in the day.

Yes, from Edgerton into the Thunder Basin National Grassland it is hilly. As I climbed yet more hills, I watched the black clouds march in on the wind from the southwest. First the rain was just light enough to coat Penny and myself is a layer of dust and grit from the road. Then, as I crossed into Campbell County, it really started raining. As I had predicted to the Postal lady, if the weather got too bad, I'd put up my tent and wait it out. The tent was up in under 5 minutes and soon everything except the bike was dry inside the tent. I had some lunch and read a little more Homer.

The rain passed, I packed up and moved on. There were plenty of cows and antelope to look at, the occasional sheep or goat ranch thrown in for diversity. Then, one of my hopes for the trip came to pass. Well, kinda. There, on the left side of the road, covering the top and side of a hill, was a herd of buffalo. I wanted to see a great flock of buffalo roaming across the trackless grasslands of the great planes. What I saw was a herd grazing on what was obviously ranch land. But, even from a distance I could tell they were not cows, but their larger native cousins.

I made it to Wright. I had wanted to press on a little further, but the sun was sinking and the rain clouds started rolling in again. I went around to all three hotels in town to find the best rate. It was the last place. I walked a block down and across the highway to get dinner, a distance I'm sure most locals would drive. I got back to the room, did some laundry for the first time since Provo, and tried to catch up on the journal. I ended up passing out after a day's worth, but at least I got that in. The rain poured for at least an hour, and I was glad that I chose to find a room instead of camp.

Day 19, Camp East of Natrona, WY - Wright, WY
112.82 miles, 1474.02 total. 7:52:44 for the day, 124:27:10 for the trip and a top speed of 42.8

No comments:

Post a Comment