Final Route Map, SF, CA - Montauk, NY

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Supplimental observation - Waving

Just as when I'm commuting through traffic in NYC, I understand that when I'm on my bike, I am an ambassador for cycling. Drivers and pedestrians are likely to judge all other cyclists by the actions of a few, so I'd rather their brief interaction with me be positive. Maybe it has no effect or maybe it will translate to them waiting for another cyclist to get through an intersection instead of cutting them off to turn in front of them.

Anyway, in crossing 2 and 2/3rds states, quite often on lonely and seldom used roads, I usually try to wave at oncoming traffic. I've noticed patterns in responses among different groups of road users, that I will now overgeneralize into a few categories:

Always wave back: Fire truck drivers, ambulance drivers, middle aged and older black men
Usually wave back: Sheriff/State Trooper/Police Officers, Semi Drivers, Light trucks hauling horse trailers, RV drivers, other cyclists (come on guys, that should be an always), any driver on an unpaved road in the desert, DOT personnel
50/50 chance: All other old men not already covered, people on horseback, other light trucks, pedestrians
Seldom wave back: Passenger car drivers, any teenagers
Never wave back: Horses, Cows, Uniformed Military Humvee Drivers, Middle-aged white women driving white Acuras with little yappy dogs on their laps

I have to give a special shout out to the drivers on 50 between Eureka and Ely, who had a wave back rate of over 90%. Way to be nice, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment