Final Route Map, SF, CA - Montauk, NY

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Mile 233 - Oh my quads!

I started day 3 with breakfast at the Folsom Waffle Barn. With my omelet I got a side of local lore, talking with the waitress about escape attempts from folsom prison. Apparently, there was a guy who had some buddies on the outside who tried to free him by running a freight train into the prison walls. I spent several miles trying to work out the logistics of that.

Anyway. After Folsom, the climb began in earnest. After the first hour, I had only gone 10.8 miles. The next hour was better, I made it a whole 11.8 miles. The hills east of Rescue, CA are a little steeper than what I had to train on around nyc. Most of the inclines I had climbed thus far fell into one of three categories, 8 mph, 6 mph or the really steep 4 mph. Today I found my first 2.5 mph. That is slower than walking speed, but at least I made it the whole way up on my bike. I was rewarded at the top with a brief glimpse if the snow capped peaks that awaited me. I was reminded throughout the day that as rough as it was, it was only a preview of tomorrow.

After 24.6 miles I had climbed up to Placerville. On the way up, I startled a massive golden eagle on the side of the road, who flew off with something very red and wet in its beak. The bird's wing span seemed at least as wide as mine. After what seemed like interminable climbing, I crested a hill and saw a sign I really didn't want to. It said 7% grade and showed a truck sloping downwards. Ok, the downhill, really, is what I live for. The chance to speed along at 30 mph or more without cranking a single pedal may be the closest i ever get to flying. But, having chugged along at 4 miles an hour for far too long, the last thing I wanted was a long downhill. Well, let me say that while I did hit my day' s high of 43.2 mph and covered the next 2 miles very quickly, there was a good amount if disappointment in it. I worked hard to get up that high and now I had to climb it again. Every time I came around a corner to see the road start to decline before me, I uttered a silent prayer that it didn't go down too far.

3 miles later, I was crossing the Cosumnes River, which was quite beautiful. The bridge over the river was aswarm with dozens of birds darting around.

As I climbed, the foliage changed subtly from the palm lined extravagance of the coast to the much hardier and more rugged giant conifers of the higher elevations. The underbrush changed too, from the pantheon of wild flowers in the lower altitudes to ferns and thorny bush, acclimated to the wind and cold.

After 4 hours, my pace hadn't really picked up yet. I was still in the 4-6 range for what felt like all day. At one point a woman driving a truck pulling a horse trailer actually slowed down to my speed and followed me more than a quarter mile uphill until I got to a more level spot and waved her past. As she passed me, she called out her window 'Keep going, you can make it'. Thank you for your kind encouragement, random horse pulling lady. I did make it.

Then, after 51.68 miles, Penny decided to voice her opinion that we had gone far enough for that day by blowing the front tire. Thankfully she stopped within sight of my primary goal for the day, Omo Ranch. In fact, the tire went flat in front of the perfect spot for a campsite. Sometimes when the bike tells you you're done for the day, you have no choice but to listen. The spot was great, hidden from the road but flat and grassy. I only hope my future sites are as good.

Day 3 Folsom, CA - Omo Ranch, CA
51.68 miles, 233.68 total. 5:36:14 of wheels spinning, 19:00:54 total, top speed 43.6 mph

No comments:

Post a Comment