Final Route Map, SF, CA - Montauk, NY

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

Saturday, April 24, 2010

And here my troubles begin

I made it to San Fransisco. My bike is en route to Mike's Bikes to be professionally reassembled and looked over before I begin. Right now I'm hanging out in SF, though Monday-Wednesday I'll be in LA before coming back here.

The trouble: as we were flying over Utah & Nevada, there was a lot of snow in the mountains. Getting into SF, I was talking with my uncle Jim who posited that it would be impossible to cross the sierras on a bike if there's 4' of snowpack still on the ground. Well, we'll see. I'm going to wait until next tuesday or wednesday and call the appropriate county departments of transportation and ask them if the roads are passable. If not, the alternate is to do an end run around the sierras, going south to Barstow before heading east. This would add 500 miles, at least a week, and two deserts to the trip. I'm not sure if this is what I really want to do. If I can get through Tahoe and Carson City, that's still my preferred route.

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment