Final Route Map, SF, CA - Montauk, NY

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

30 days left til go go go

The rain we've been having over the last several days has finally abated. The temp was hovering within a few degrees of 50 for most of the day, but at least it was dry. I took Penny up for her first trip to Nyack. Oh yes, I don't think I mentioned, but I've decided that Penny is her name.

I loaded the tent and a whole lot of bottles of gatorade into the front panniers and all of the cooking equipment, maintainance tools and some other random crap into the back ones. Though I didn't weigh it this time, I'm guessing the extra load was somewhere between 50-60 lbs.

And it wasn't too bad. Unlike trips I've taken on this route on the mountain bike, no hill was too steep for me to climb, even if I was going VERY slowly at times. Overall I made good time. My bike computer has an issue or two, so it has only been telling me the time, not speed or distance. On this ride I have a couple prominent time markers; the GWB, because that is basically half way time wise (though not distance wise) and The Runcible Spoon, a bike friendly cafe in Nyack that is a good place to turn around if Nyack is the destination or take a break if one is going further. According to Mapmyride.com, on the route I took the Spoon is 36.25 miles away. (17 to the GWB and 19.25 the rest of the way) I did each section in about an hour and a half, which isn't great time, but it isn't horrible either. I was passed several times by racers on their triathalon bikes, but I can't really compare my progress to theirs as any of my four panniers weigh more than their bikes.

Here's a map


Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment